I’d like to point out that in this scene Peggy is having CRIPPLING emotional issues with an aspect of her body. Bobby is not only comfortable enough with his body to not give a fuck, he’s aware enough to use that to bring his mom up from what might be the lowest he’s ever seen her.
|—||Rachel Reiland (via internal-acceptance-movement)|
A psychologist walked around a room while teaching stress management to an audience. As she raised a glass of water, everyone expected they’d be asked the “half empty or half full” question. Instead, with a smile on her face, she inquired: “How heavy is this glass of water?”
Answers called out ranged from 8 oz. to 20 oz.
She replied, “The absolute weight doesn’t matter. It depends on how long I hold it. If I hold it for a minute, it’s not a problem. If I hold it for an hour, I’ll have an ache in my arm. If I hold it for a day, my arm will feel numb and paralyzed. In each case, the weight of the glass doesn’t change, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes.” She continued, “The stresses and worries in life are like that glass of water. Think about them for a while and nothing happens. Think about them a bit longer and they begin to hurt. And if you think about them all day long, you will feel paralyzed – incapable of doing anything.”
It’s important to remember to let go of your stresses. As early in the evening as you can, put all your burdens down. Don’t carry them through the evening and into the night. Remember to put the glass down!
I think this just changed my life.
You would not believe how important a concept this is, and how basic, and how understanding it can change your entire life, even when you’ve been raised for years being told that no, just because you think about it doesn’t mean that it’s worth thinking about. That’s just yet another way that abusers beat you down and make you believe that there’s something wrong with you. If it didn’t matter to you, you wouldn’t be thinking about it, and while that doesn’t mean that anybody else has to be bothered, it doesn’t mean that they get to tell you that you shouldn’t be thinking about it, either.
That’s not even all of the reason this is an important concept (though OH MY FUCK is it a big thing that people need to realize). I’ve seen a lot of people (myself included) insist, over and over, that something - a break-up, a friend or lover’s behavior, a mistake they made, whatever - isn’t a problem and doesn’t matter, when they’re contradicting themselves pretty blatantly by continuing to dwell on it and bring it up. If you’re stuck on it that badly, it does matter and you need to deal with it.
|—||Jodi Picoult (via onlinecounsellingcollege)|
- You don’t have to achieve great things by the time you’re 25
- You have intrinsic value above and beyond your perceived utility to other people and society at large.
- You don’t have to have sex, or have sex in any way that you find uncomfortable or unpleasant, to keep anyone’s love or good opinion of you. They didn’t love you or think very well of you to start with if they demand it.
- You don’t have to stay with someone who isn’t meeting your emotional or sexual needs because they need you, or you’ve been with them for awhile, or you need to be in a relationship. You need you. Your time is your own and it is finite.
- It’s ok to work at a job you enjoy that doesn’t make you miserable even if it’s not a career and it won’t “lead to anything.”
- Your life is not a narrative. It is not leading to anything, there is no overarching thesis, it does not have themes beyond the usual shared cultural experiences of your time and place. This is ok. It does not mean that your life is without purpose or meaning.
- It’s ok not to like or get along with the vast majority of people you encounter, so long as you afford them the same respect, courtesy and dignity that they afford you.
- Expensive is not always better.
- Failure is temporary if you’re still alive.
- People are both much better and much worse than you’d suspect, but usually not all at once.
- Stop thinking of your future self as a different person and it will be easier to prevent money and health problems.
- Let people help you, lean on them when you need to, and be available to help, but don’t swing too far in either direction. Try to carry your half of the life basket as evenly as you can.
- Set boundaries, and do not be afraid to kick people out of your life who disregard them. You will not end up alone and unloved. People who love you will be ok with your boundaries.
- Your power does not come from money or beauty, but from seeing life steadily and wholly, from a curious and thoughtful mind, and from your ability to say no when you want to, and yes when you want to, and I don’t know when you don’t know.
- There will be bad times, maybe lots of bad times, but not only bad times.
- Love will not heal the wounds in your soul, but love can give you the impetus to begin the work of healing yourself.
- Life might be a long series of starting over, and that’s alright.
- You’re really cool, you’re really beautiful, you’re really special. Really. Not to everyone, but to a lot of someones sometimes.
This is lovely.
I really needed to read this just now.
“because of reasons” is always a legitimate reason
“because fuck you that’s why” is also acceptable
Yes, that used to be steamed white rice.
Facebook Thread Of The Year of the Day: A girl gets a tattoo of her boyfriend’s face on her arm. He calls her “branded cattle” and breaks up with her.
Yeah, you’re going to want to read the whole thing.
Oh my god.
I am literally crying. This is just too much
OMG IT HURTS!!!
Psycho bitches d00d.
brb pissing myself laughing
Reminds me of a few people I’m no longer speaking to. Thank god I wasn’t dating any of them.